Friday, September 29, 2017

Getting Ready for the Trip


Getting Ready for the Trip


Background


It was three years ago, that I made the first attempt to travel to the Four Corners of the United States. This trip covered 40 states, 11,500 miles in a 25-day journey. It was quite an experience that had its challenges. I spent nine months planning for that trip, initially determining the route to reach the four corners and then determining what other objectives I wanted to achieve. The trip’s schedule was centered on attending my 45th High School Class Reunion. I decided when I finished the trip to start thinking about the next adventure.

I joined the “Southern California Motorcycle Association (SC-MA)” in 2014 since they are one of the Sanctioning Organization for the long-distance riding community. They also offer a series of other rides and have awards for completing multiple events. In the fall of 2016, in earnest, I started looking at this objective as I began the planning process for a series of trips in 2017.
TRUE-X 4-Corners Trip Map
In September 2016, I decided to go for the “Triple Crown” award by completing three events. The first was the “California Missions” trip, the “TRUE-X 4-Corners”, and finally the SC-MA’s premier “3-Flags Classic” event. Although I have been planning the TRUE-X for 18-months I added the other two trips to the plan. The 3-Flags run is an annual event and occurs over the Labor Day weekend each year. Since this trip has fixed dates and starts in Abbottsford, British Columbia on August, 31st. All the other components of the trip must support making this date.

My initial plan was to do all three trips consecutively with a one or two-day break between each run. In addition, since the 3-Flags trip start is 50-miles from the Blaine, Washington corner. I reordered the 4-Corners so that I ended up there in the end. The San Ysidro corner is the closest to my home, so this always makes this the logical starting point. In April, I needed to attend training in the Los Angeles area so I decided to split the California Missions trip off and schedule it around the training. Since there is no time-limit for this trip, I re-planned this trip to place the training into the middle of the schedule and completed 18 of the 21 missions over the Easter weekend. I completed the remaining 3 missions after the training before returning home. I will cover the details of this trip in my next post.

The BLOG


When I was planning the 2014 trip, I decided to document the journey daily and chose a Google site to accomplish this. Initially this was to keep family, friends and co-workers informed on my progress. I used the blog as well as my Facebook account as the mechanism to let them know how the trip was progressing.

In addition, I had built a spreadsheet that planned the trip day-by-day which included a hotel to stay at and the distance to be covered. It also estimated my fuel consumption and costs. During the trip, I tracked every gas stop so that I could see my actual gas mileage and other information. To simplify the overall process, I developed checklists for the 4 major events that occur every day (starting out in the morning, the end of the day, each gas stop, and finally what I needed to do each evening).

This information has proved to be invaluable in planning this trip. I decided after the trip that I wanted to try the harder version of the 4-Corners trip which is called “TRUE-X”. On the original trip, I started in San Ysidro, California and travelled to Blaine, Washington then Madawaska, Maine and finally Key West, Florida before returning home. This TRUE-X trip requires a stop in the small town of Lebanon, Kansas which is the “Geographic Center of the Continental United States” between each corner for a total of three visits.

The Equipment


I spent time reading the blog from the previous trip and made note of what gear worked and what did not. It also described that on some days the route was complex and needed to use a GPS device. Since I did not have a way to charge my cell phone on the original trip meant that I couldn’t use that. On two days, I ended up getting off course and loosing time.


On the California Missions trip, I used my cell phone to provide the directions. I encountered problems with the power cord and battery life so it was not as dependable as I needed. Since the TRUE-X means travelling on non-Interstate highways when travelling to Lebanon, Kansas a GPS is critical to completing the trip efficiently. In addition, I will be travelling for 6-days in Canada and 3-days in Mexico, the cell phone will not work on those days. I spent a couple of weeks evaluating GPS units and finally settled on a Garmin Zumo 595LM. I chose this unit because it had a large screen but most importantly that is was designed for use on a motorcycle. This unit is weather-proofed and vibration resistant. It also has detailed planning tool for the laptop that allows a great deal of control over the route and schedule. These are features that my cell phone doesn’t offer. My wife and I took a road-trip to Wisconsin and we used the GPS unit. I was able figure out its use prior to the trip. After some initial difficulty, I figured out the problem and used it exclusively on the trip home. I am continuing to learn how to use the features that far exceed the capabilities of a cell phone.

I also purchased a separate feature that allows the GPS unit to monitor the tire pressure which will provide a level of safety needed for the bike’s operation.

Although the GPS unit is the largest expense item it is not the most critical item that will improve this trip. I also discovered safety glasses that offer bi-focal reader lenses from Duluth Trading. I can now see the gauges and the details on the GPS and phone. I have three pairs ranging from clear to dark sunglasses and one that is in between. This will allow for the protection of my eyes in all lighting conditions.

What’s Next?


In my next post, I will describe the “California Missions Trip” where I visited all 21 of the Spanish Missions that are the backbone of California’s history. I will also do one additional post before I leave on August 8th with the details and schedule of the trip.

I also have scheduled to have the bike serviced by my local Harley-Davidson dealer in preparation for the trip along with having the power connections for the GPS installed.


No comments:

Post a Comment