Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Second Checkpoint Reached after 3-Days

Reached Second Checkpoint - Blaine, WA

The day started in Kelso, WA when I left at 7:30 AM. The reason that I was starting later than normal was that I wanted to hit the Seattle area at the tail-end of the morning rush hour. I still hit moderate traffic from Tacoma into the Sea-Tac area. I was able to use the Express HOV lanes to bypass most of the traffic. It was nice to have a full night’s sleep and have a fresh start on the day.

The morning temperatures were mostly in the 60's and low-70's and cloudy. I entered the traffic around 9:30 AM. I chose to use the I-405 bypass since the traffic in downtown is very unpredictable and therefore more stress. I used to work in the Bellevue area, so it was interesting that all the highway construction that I endured is completed.

I pushed through to Blaine in order to be there early enough so that on my return pass through Seattle area would be before the afternoon rush hour. Normally when I reach a checkpoint, I try to take a break and get something to eat.

Checkpoint #2 - Post Office, Blaine, Washington

I had a chance to speak with the two owners of the Chevron gas station which is part of the checkpoint process. The gas receipt is a required piece of documentation since it provides the date and time that you reach the corner. They were expanding the building and are thinking of putting up a sign that recognizes the Northwest Corner of the US. It was still cool (mid-60's) so I put the leather jacket back on but opened the vents since I knew that it would get warmer 

I began the second segment of the trip to head to the third corner around noon. I was able to clear the Seattle area around 2:30 PM. I was able to avoid all traffic except where the I-405 intersects I-90. There was some backup and I had to cross 4-5 lanes of stopped traffic to exit onto I-90. It was clear sailing after that.

I drove about one-hour east on I-90 before stopping. I was glad to get the heavy jacket off since the temperatures had reached nearly 90 degrees. I was able to keep hydrated for most of the day, but I was exhausted. I have found that I like stopping at Truck Stops because many have food courts so there is a choice of places to eat and a small dining area to get out of the sun. I have a 32-ounce mug that I can refill with ice water to keep hydrated. It is a constant struggle and I try take a drink every 15-20 minutes. Since this is a long-distance ride, I try to ride as far as possible (~200 miles / 3 hours) and stop only when I need gas.

I reached my planned stopping point in Spokane, WA around 7:30 PM and got checked into the hotel. I had a pizza delivered since I didn't feel like going out and I had already covered the bike for the evening.

I noticed late in the afternoon as I was leaving my last gas stop for the day that there was a sound coming from the engine. So, I am waiting for the local Harley-Davidson dealer to open and see if they can fit me in to determine if I have a problem. This should not have a major impact since I had Friday planned for servicing the bike. Hopefully, it is nothing serious, but we will find out shortly.

I am going to close out this report and get ready to head to the dealer and find out my next steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment