Saturday, August 19, 2017

DAY #11 - Back on the Road Tomorrow

DAY #11 - Another Day of Rest and Re-planning the Trip

It was nice to sleep in today. I think I was still up by 7:00 AM, so it was not too late. As I mentioned in yesterday's posting, I had to have a part in the drive train replaced. The Service Team at Holstein's Harley-Davidson did a great job getting the bike put back together. They also provided shuttle service to and from the hotel. I picked the bike up around 2:00 PM. They replaced the broken part, the front brakes, the rear tire, and changed the oil, etc.

I spent a good portion of the day re-planning the trip to Key West. I restructured it from a 4-day run to save a day and make it a 3-day trip. It will be a true endurance test, since I will be covering 2,250 miles in a 72-hour period. I am planning to cover 720 miles on Sunday, 860 miles on Monday, and 530 miles on Tuesday. I bought a cushion for the seat, so it won't be perfect, but it will be better that the seat on the bike.I am checking on the criteria for an "Iron Butt Award" which is for covering 1,000 miles in a 24-hour period. 


I have made my hotel reservations for the next two nights. I had difficulty finding a room on Sunday night in the St. Louis area. Most of the hotels in Omaha, Kansas City and St. Louis are booked because of the Solar Eclipse. It looks like I will be driving through a good portion of the peak eclipse path.

It looks like I might get a break in the weather since Hurricane Harvey has been downgraded to to Tropical Depression and it looks like it will make landfall in the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico.

That gets me back on schedule by the time I get to Key West. Well the day starts early tomorrow, so it it is a quiet dinner, watch some TV and set the alarm for 5:00 AM and be on the road at 6:00 AM.

Tomorrow, I should hit the Lebanon, Kansas checkpoint by 10:00 AM, Kansas City around 2:30 PM and arrive at the hotel in St. Louis around 7:00 PM.


No comments:

Post a Comment