Tuesday, August 15, 2017

DAY #6 - I have crossed the US Diagonally (SW to NE)

Journey to Madawaska, Maine

Since I left San Ysidro, California six days ago, I have covered 3,852 miles, consumed 106 gallons of premium fuel and averaged nearly 12 hours a day on the motorcycle.

Today was the smoothest day of the trip thus far. It was an endurance run that truly tested how much seat time I could spend. I left the hotel in Kingston, Ontario at 7:30 AM and drove about 90 minutes before I had to stop for gas. I then drove 235 miles which was nearly 4 hours before I had to stop again. I had lunch near Quebec City before the final segment to Edmundston, New Brunswick, Canada. This is a moderate sized town that is separated from the US and Madawaska by the St. Johns River. It turns out that weather is really the major factor when riding. Today was cloudy and cool all day so it was comfortable with the leather jacket and no gloves.

I always thought that Canada was bilingual everywhere. What I didn't know that that is not true in Quebec. There is nothing that is in English, everything is in French. When I stopped for lunch, even McDonald's menu was in French and very busy.

I got a little concerned just before I stopped for lunch when I hit a patch of road where it had just rained. It looked pretty ominous ahead. I contemplated putting on the rain suit after eating. I decided to not suit up since the sky was clearing and it looked like the storms had passed on the NOAA application I have on my phone.

It has been weird not having cell phone coverage and having to be totally dependent on WiFi at hotels and restaurants.

The Second of Four Corners

I checked into the hotel before proceeding to cross the border back into the US. I cleared customs quickly as there were no vehicles in line so I was through in just a few minutes. The agent asked me what I was going to do and gave me directions to the Four Corners Park and the gas station that you need to check into. What I didn't expect was to not get any AT&T cell phone coverage while I was back in the US.

A number of years ago at the urging of one of the residents the city built a park that is dedicated to Four Corners Run. They are building a new restroom facility but the park has several covered picnic tables, a fountain, and a memorial. To raise funds people from the community as well as bikers from all over the country have purchased bricks for the walkways with the names inscribed on them. It appeared that they were adding a new section of bricks behind the water fountain.

The park is very pretty and has several signs documenting the fact that this is the very northern tip of Maine. I have included several of the pictures of the facility.





WHAT IS NEXT:

I got back to the hotel and decided to do laundry a day early. I also decided since all my riding clothes were in the wash, I would have some Chinese delivered. I finished eating by the time the dryer was finished. So I now have seven days of clean clothes and my prescription medication all sorted out for the next week. 

I will be returning to Lebanon, Kansas using the same route I came in on so I redid the plan for the return trip to Lebanon. Some of the hotels that I had originally planned on using were not available or the best value anymore.

Looks like there is rain in the Montreal area that I will hit early this afternoon. That should slow up my return today.

1 comment:

  1. It was nice meeting you John hope your having a great time Bert (met you at the hotel in Edmonston

    ReplyDelete