Friday, August 8, 2014

Day 16 - "I've got Georgia on my Mind"

Friday, August 8th
I got an earlier start than normal. I decided to stop and get some pictures since I was going through Washington, DC. I put a pin on the map on where I thought I could get a good picture of the Capitol Building. I placed it one block from the front steps, however that is in the "secure zone" that surrounds it. So the directions had switched into walking mode so I got lost. Every time I am in DC I end up getting lost. Today was no different. I got a nice picture of the sun rising behind the building. I then immediately got the hell out of town before traffic got bad.

Sunrise over the Capitol
I drove past the Pentagon. My good friend Drew Grigson is stationed there. I gave him a quick salute as I rode by. I was able to get through Richmond without any real issues. I was able to run on cruise control most of the day so I went about 100 miles further today than I planned. Somewhere near Fort Bragg, NC there was an accident on I-95 and traffic was backed up for 6-7 miles. I used the tricks from the "Chicago School of Offensive Driving" to get around most of the traffic.

Looking down the Mall towards the Washington Monument
I rode for a short way in the rain but when it got heavier I stopped and put on the rain gear on. It looks like I will be wearing it for the next 3-5 days. I checked into a hotel near the Savanna, Georgia airport. I ended up ordering a Domino's pizza for dinner and will call it a day.

If everything goes well, I intend to get to the southern end of Miami on Saturday. I would like to reach the Homestead area if I can. That will leave me about a 4 hour run to the final marker.


No comments:

Post a Comment