Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Day 19 - Starting the Trip Home

Monday, August 11th - Homestead to Tallahassee, Florida

On Sunday evening, the power went out at the hotel so I decided to splurge and have a nice steak for dinner. I headed down the stairs and realized that I left the helmet in the room. Not wanting to chance getting stuck in the elevator so I decided to walk to the restaurant instead since it was only 10-15 minutes away. There were no sidewalks so I put life and limb at risk and headed out for that steak. It was worth the walk as it used muscles that haven't bee used for awhile.

Monday started early and saw the full moon setting and the sun rising. I took the Florida Turnpike its entire length and got past Miami before traffic got bad it slowed at points but did not come to a stop. The morning went quickly and I passed through Orlando around 11AM. I decided to stop in Ocala for lunch. The have the the Don "Big Daddy" Garlits' Drag Racing Museum next to where I had lunch. I thought that I might stop in but it started pouring rain and before I could get across the street to a gas station I got totally soaked.

Rain of Biblical Proportions
I suited up in my rain suit which was made more difficult because I was soaked. I decided to not change clothes and pressed on. I drove another 100 miles or so and turned off of I-75 onto I-10 and pulled over at the rest area since the sun was shining and it was getting warm. I should have looked at the NOAA Weather application on my smart phone and  I would have seen that I was headed into some more storms. But No! I removed the rain gear and resumed my trip. Five miles later as I rounded a corner the sky turned dark so I stopped under an overpass and put the gear back on. It was timely since just as I stopped the bike my wife called about having dinner this weekend with friends.

I go to the motel around 5:30PM and took a quick nap before heading out for dinner at a restaurant that was next door. Just a 5 minute walk this time. Tomorrow, I take the bike into the shop for an oil change and a new front tire. They are also going to fix the heel shifter that had its set screw come loose. I will sit and wait for the service to be completed.

I had originally planned to get to Texarkana on Tuesday but will need to play that by ear depending on what time I actually get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment