Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Day 4 - Blaine, WA to Butte, MT

I was originally planning to get only to Missoula, Montana on this leg. I was pessimistic because I expected traffic in the Seattle area. I forgot that it was early on a Sunday morning so I was able to zip through the Bellevue without having to slow down. As a result of picking up an hour I had planned for a delay and an early 7:00AM start, I decided to press onto my original planned stop for the evening in Butte.

The drive was long but uneventful. Riding through the Cascade Mountains was a trip taking hard curves at higher speeds. You really had to lean into the turn. Eastern Washington is fairly flat so I was able to make good time since there was not a lot of traffic to slow me down. As I mentioned in my previous post, I did not take US-2 through the Cascades since a portion of it was closed because of the forest fires they have been having the past week or so. I stopped to take a panoramic picture of where I-90 crosses the Columbia River.

180 Degree panoramic view of Columbia River
The ride through the panhandle of Idaho was beautiful. If I thought the turns earlier in the day were great, these were even better. The area around Coeur d'Alene is some of the prettiest countryside I have seen.




I stayed at one of those "Classic Downtown Hotel" which had a very ornate two-story lobby and was very well preserved. The room was tiny (by my standards) and the bathroom was even smaller. I have seen handicapped stalls that are bigger. The room was clean and the fixtures were modern. The price was in the low $90's.

There was a neat restaurant a block and a half away so I decided to walk. My legs did not want to cooperate so it seemed like a very long walk. I just had an appetizer and a piece of Key Lime pie since I was not really hungry. By the time I got back to the room and took a shower, I realized that I didn't bring in the laptop from the bike so this posting is a day late.

My longest trip in the first three days was 575 miles but today was 725 and tomorrow's will be over 800.

No comments:

Post a Comment