Monday, July 7, 2014

The Journey Begins

My journey started in 2011 when my wife Trish and I were at a friends party celebrating their daughter's high school graduation. We were talking to another couple who rode to the party together on their Harley. I mentioned the fact that I used to have a motorcycle back when I was in the Air Force in the early 70's. My friend Gary mentioned that a common friend of ours had a "2009 Harley Sportster 1200cc Custom" that was for sale since he was transferring to New York.

My wife thought it was a good idea and encouraged me to pursue it. After some prodding, I went and test drove the bike, fell in love with it and bought it a few days later. When I took possession of  it the odometer read 17 miles. The journey began and my love of motorcycling was renewed.

I rode the bike home and parked it until I took the Rider's Edge course at my local Harley-Davidson dealer. I realized how much I did not know about riding and on my first long ride the training kicked in and I was able to avoid a serious accident which would have ended my riding just as I was getting started. The cost of the class was the best money that I could have spent on the class.

Here are some pictures of the bike when I got it home for the first time.


No comments:

Post a Comment