Friday, July 25, 2014

Day One is Completed - Not without challenges though...

Late Start

Because of some last minute meetings and trying to get a project for work completed, I did not start loading the bike until 10:15. I repositioned a number of items so that my jacket was no longer strapped to the top of my backpack. The touring pack (truck) was restructured but still needs a bit of organization. I stopped and had a quick bite to eat before I started the official trip. I finally arrived at my first corner having driven 456.8 miles so far.

The First Corner

The purpose of this trip is to complete the Southern California Motorcycle Association's (SC-MA.org) Four Corners Motorcycle Tour. You need to drive your bike to each of the corners of the Continental United States. I chose the one in San Diego since it is the closest to where I live. One of the requirements of the trip is proof that you visited each corner and at what time you completed that. To prove that you have actually driven, you must also record your odometer reading as well as purchase gas at a nearby station and show the receipt.

Check, check and double check, the list is complete and my starting mileage at the 29,197 at 11:38AM. The clock is now running and I have to reach the other three points on or before August 13th. The towel is also a requirement and shows that I am the 101st person to register for this event this year.

The Trip through Los Angeles

My original plan was to leave the first corner around 10AM, however, I am nearly two hours behind schedule. My original route was to drive on the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) from Lompoc to Monterrey past the Hearst Castle. I hit several delays in Irvine and Long Beach and nearly missed the turnoff for the Ventura Freeway. That is when I hit traffic. It was ten miles or so of stop and go in very hot weather. The thermometer was reading over 100 so it was uncomfortable but I tried to stay hydrated. We finally got past the accident that had shut down several lanes of traffic and it was clear sailing from there. I stopped for gas in Oxnard and I used one of the blue towels that you dampen in water and placed it around my neck and shoulders. It worked very well in keeping me cool but a few miles down the road I reached the coast and the temperatures dropped into the 80's then I was a little too cool (I am starting to sound like my wife Trish when it comes to temperature). Needless to say, the traffic cost me an additional hour of time.

North to San Jose

My plan was to get to San Jose at a reasonable hour and really couldn't change my plans since I was past cancellation time. Since I was three hours behind schedule already, I decided to skip the trip up the coast highway and stay on the main highway (US-101). I got to Santa Margarita when the warning light for low fuel came on. I thought I would go to the next town and get gas. Big mistake since the next town turns out is 40-50 miles away. In all my rush to get the trip on schedule I skipped a critical step of filling the two small gas cans the I bought to deal with an out of gas situation. I put in a service call with AAA through my iPhone App. I waited for 90 minutes or so. I had the opportunity to meet a family that had a broken front suspension and were waiting for a tow. When there tow truck came and I found out the it was not AAA I called them. It turns out that motorcycles aren't covered but the App doesn't tell you that it won't schedule the service. It would have left me 15 miles from anywhere. Fortunately, the tow truck driver had gas and sold me a gallon and I didn't mind the price. I got back to town by backtracking the 15 miles and filled up my tank and the two spares.

The final 150 miles

It is now dark and the temperature is dropping so the jacket goes on but I need to stop to put on a hoodie to be comfortable. I actually turned on the handle grip warmers to keep my hands warm. That leather jacket in the backpack now looks like a good idea. (Note to self: don't ship it back). I finally arrived at the hotel at 12:30 AM. My shoulders were stiff, my butt has permanent indentations from the seams in my clothes and then there were my hands. The fingers were a bit stiff but my thumbs are very painfull. It hurt to use the turn signals. This morning they fill much better but they are still a little sore. I will have to be careful today with them.

Nightime driving is not as much fun. I had to slow down because I didn't want to outdrive my headlights and it was also warmer that way.

The next leg (Point B to Point C)

I plan on leaving the hotel around 9AM so that I can miss some of the traffic in San Francisco. I plan on crossing the Golden Gate and then running up the coast on the PCH. My destination this evening is Medford, Oregon which is 525 miles and 9-10 hours driving time. It looks like I am getting close to 200 miles per tank which is 39-40 MPG. I am going to take a couple of Aleve pills before departing to get rid of the stiffness.


No comments:

Post a Comment