Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Day #5 - Heading to the Second Corner

Please keep me in your prayers on my annual motorcycle trek around the US. Wednesday, I will reach the 2nd Corner in Madawaska, Maine and will start heading south towards Key West after that. Right now I have planned to hold up in Connecticut for a few days to see if I can wait out Hurricane Florence. My original plan was to travel inland so I should miss the worst of it but the massive rains that are predicted will most likely be in my path.

Today's Journey

I left Lansing, Michigan at 7:45 which was just slightly ahead of schedule for a change. I had planned to hit the Canadian Border around 9:30 and I cleared it on time in about 20 minutes. My GPS unit is great because I change change the Units-of-Measure from Miles to Kilometers. It also has a display which shows my actual speed separate from the speedometer.

What I have consistently found is that the speed limit in Canada is 100 KPH (62 MPH), but nobody follows it. Most of the day I ran at 115-125 KPH (70-80 MPH) and had no problems keeping up with traffic.

Stolen Picture of Bridge at Port Huron, MI Border Crossing
 The temperature was 50 degrees when I left Lansing, so I had my winter gear on. I kept the same gear on for most of the day. For the first time this trip I was fighting fatigue. This was a major problem during last year's trip and was a constant battle. I discovered that this is usually because I get too warm and I start to fight drowsiness. I forgot that lesson in the early afternoon and found a picnic area at one of the Canadian Rest Plaza (food court, gas, etc.) and stretched out for a nap in the shade.

I thought that this was because I didn't sleep well the night before. My CPAP machine has been waking me up so I will try something different tomorrow night. When I took off the heavy gloves that seemed to help the problem significantly. The temperatures stayed in the 60's all day, so it was an adjustment when I was riding in sunny weather or cloudy weather.

I hit a small patch of light rain about 5 miles from the hotel so I pressed ahead without stopping and arrived shortly after 5:00. I had some pizza delivered to the room and will call it an early evening. 

I had originally planned for a very early start (3:00 AM) to get around Montreal before rush hour. I have decided to leave three hours later to arrive in Montreal after rush hour. I plan on hitting the Second Corner in Madawaska, Maine at around 4:00 PM and get to the hotel around 7:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment