Thursday, September 13, 2018

Reached the Second Corner in Madawaska, Maine

Day #6 - The push to the Second Corner

Today I left Kingston, OT at 6:00 AM instead of the planned 3:00 AM. I decided to hit Montreal after rush hour instead of before. It was an uneventful trip, although, my back and bottom were sore and uncomfortable. When I looked at my gas mileage from previous days was 150-180 miles per tank. Today was 195-225 which means that I was on the bike much longer between stops.

I stopped at the Service Plaza just as you enter Quebec and the change hits you like a ton of bricks. Everything is in French. I have been having problems with my MasterCard in Canada because the pumps read the chip but require a PIN number. Since my cell phone doesn't work outside the US, I cannot call and get one assigned. So I had to go inside and prepay. I lost my Visa somewhere in Montana or Wyoming so I am down to our backup card. Visa does not require the PIN.

I got to the Customs checkpoint in Madawaska and the Agent asked if I was lost since I was so far
away from home. I explained what I was doing and we spoke for a minute or so.

I Hit the checkpoint at 3:00 PM and gathered the required documentation to prove that I was there and completed according to the rules. Each rider that registers receives a towel with the Logo and a Serial Number that is unique to me.

The town of Madawaska has built a park to honor is unique location as one of the Corners of the Continental US. It was built with donations from people from all over the country by buying a concrete brick with an inscription on it. The couple that was instrumental in building it are on vacation this week, so I didn't get to meet them. I spent about 45 minutes sitting in the shade after I took this picture.
I covered 3,437 miles in a total of 127 hours with 55 hours of actual riding. getting from the first corner to the second.
 I drove another 50 miles to get to Caribou, Maine to call it an evening. This was a full-service hotel so Hartford, CT which is where I plan to hunker down an d wait out Hurricane Florence. I plan on arriving after rush hour instead of before.

No comments:

Post a Comment