Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Getting into Position for FOUR CORNERS RUN

The Three Flags Banquet

This was an entertaining evening. Of the 213 motorcycles that started, 200 completed the run. This year those who didn't make it were for mechanical problems. This was the first time to make it. As most of you know, last year I hit a deer on the final day and limped home with a sense of gratitude that I was not injured.

Unfortunately, I didn't win any of the drawings. But two people at my table did win. One was for the oldest motorcycle (2002) and the female who traveled the furthest to the starting point (London, Ontario). I spoke with another rider that lives on the other side of the city I live in. There was a total of 6 riders were from Nevada. There were almost as many Canadian riders as there were from the US.

After the event was over, I headed back to the room and began packing for the trip to get ready for the FOUR CORNERS RUN.

Change of Plans

I had originally planned heading from Calgary to Victoria, BC via Banff and Kanloops. When I arrived in Calgary, I had run into heavy rain and cold temperatures in the upper 30's. This made me realize that if I run into this in the mountains I could be in deep trouble with snow or ice. I hate riding on wet pavement so my fear is that slippery pavement could be fatal.

I spent Tuesday working on a secondary plan to take a more southern trip to Blaine, Washington. I found on that took me through Southwestern British Columbia an bringing me back into the top of the Idaho Panhandle. I eventually came through Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. We were at Hayden with Lake about 10 miles north in early June with 14 adults and 4 children. We rented a Lake house and had a great time. So it was ironic to pass the turnoff to the Lake House.

I left about 10:30 in the morning after having a nice conversation with the President of the Southern California Motorcycle Association (SCMA) which is the sanctioning body for the THREE FLAGS and FOUR CORNERS rides as well as several other rides as well. He has asked me to consider helping the organization with the web site as they redesign it later this year. I told him that I would think about it and let him know in a week or so.

I got through customs in less than 5 minutes. It is good to be back into the US again. The road south had some slow traffic and a school bus dropping kids off. I arrived at the hotel in Spokane around 8:00 PM. I will be heading to Redmond, Washington to have the bike serviced. I will leave Spokane around 8:00 AM so that I miss rush hour in the Seattle area.

No comments:

Post a Comment